William D. Stilley, Esq.
10 Reasons why Kansas City is the best place to live
I’ve lived in Kansas City my whole life. I am firmly convinced that there is no city better than Kansas City. This city flies under everyone’s radar and frankly, we like it that way. There are many reasons that I’ve stayed in Kansas City and decided to establish my business here. I figured I’d list a few reasons today and share my love for this wonderful town!
10. The BBQ- Kansas City is the BBQ capital of the world for a reason. There are many different regional styles of BBQ, but anyone with tastebuds can testify that KC’s reigns supreme. Kansas City’s most famous BBQ dish is the Burnt End, and every place in town has their own take on this. My favorite place in town is Gates’ BBQ. You can’t beat their Sweet and Mild Sauce, their burnt ends, and their wonderful smoked turkey! Some other places I like are Zarda, Haywards, and Jack Stack!
9. The Culture- Kansas City has so much to offer when it comes to culture! From the Nelson Atkins’ Museum of Art to the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts, in the last 15 years Kansas City has become a hot ticket city for the Arts. I love to enjoy shows at the Music Hall with my family (pandemic notwithstanding). KC certainly lives up to its nickname of Paris of the Plains!
8. The Weather- Although the summers can get muggy and hot, Spring and Fall make up for it in Kansas City. Spring and Fall often see days in the low 70’s with low humidity here, and I always say that it is what the weather will be in heaven!
7. Downtown- The last 15 years have seen a huge resurgence of Kansas City’s downtown area and the city is so much better for it. My family and I love to go to Union Station, and enjoy the River Market and Power and Light District. The City Market is the place to be on Saturdays when the farmer’s market is in full swing too!
6. Quality of Living- Kansas City and its surrounding suburbs perennially show up on lists of best places to raise a family and I couldn’t agree more. I chose to raise my two children here because I knew they would grow up in a safe neighborhood with quality schools. My wife and I now live in Leawood, on the Kansas side, and we couldn’t be happier with our home!
5. The Affordability- Kansas City excels at being an affordable place to live and work. The taxes are relatively low, and other prices stay low too.
4. The Sports- If there is one thing that is true about Kansas City, it is that this city is crazy for its sports teams. My family and I are huge fans of the Kansas City Royals baseball team, Kansas City Chiefs football team, and the Kansas City Mavericks minor league hockey team. We all attended the wonderful 2015 Royals World Series Celebration, and we were elated when Patrick Mahomes led the Chiefs to a Super Bowl win last year (and hopefully another one this year!). My office is located very close to Cable Dahmer Arena where the Mavericks play and my family and I attend a lot of games.
3. The Culinary Scene- BBQ aside, Kansas City has a wonderful culinary scene. From fine dining, to classic dives Kansas City has it all. We also have a wide variety of international food options. Some of my favorite places to eat in the city are Pho Vietnam, Johnny Cascone’s, K-Macho’s, Hereford House, and many others!
2. The History- As a history buff, Kansas City has a lot to offer. From its beginnings as a French fur trading post, to Lewis and Clark, to the Civil War, and beyond, there is so much rich history to learn about and enjoy in Kansas City. Three of the best places to enjoy history in the city are the National WWI Museum and Memorial, The Truman Library, and the Steamboat Arabia museum. I believe these three museums are some of the best in the world!
1. The People- The people are truly what makes Kansas City the best place to live. Everyone here prides themselves in being friendly and personable. Kansas City is the biggest small town you’ll ever visit. Neighbors still check on each other here, and strangers treat each other like long lost friends. Kansas City is kind of like one giant Cheers bar. A friendly place where everybody knows your name!